Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reflections to Tech Assessments: Wk 1, part 2

I'm going to begin this blog by laying my cards out on the table. I am one of those teachers that is a little bit afraid of technology. So, I would have to say that my weakness is that I am afraid of the unknown and hesitant to learn new technology. By the same token, I feel that my strength is when I do learn something, I make it a point to become very good at it. I know that I am a very successful teacher with the technology I already use and with so much to do already, learning new technology seems like such a chore. I hope I can get inspired by this class and brush up on my technology skills.

In the first assessment, Technology Applications Inventory, I was responded "yes" to the majority of the questions in the Foundations, Information Acquisition and Problem Solving sections. I feel that I am proficient in these areas. However, in the Communication section, I responded "no" to 80% of the questions. Clearly, I am lacking some skills needed to communicate effectively and will need additional training in this area.

In the second assessment, the SETDA survey, I responded that, overall, my school does a good job at providing technology but it is still in the beginning stages of requiring everyone to be proficient. My district has pulled all of the on-site technology coordinators and reassigned them to central office. Previously, each campus had one technology coordinator to handle all technology issues. This has left all campuses in the district without guidance and assistance in technology. This is a major step backwards for our district.

As for the assessments, I feel that they are accurate and I agree with them. I am in the process of becoming more technologically aware but I do still have some work to do. And with that, I have to take on a leadership role, be a life-long learner, put aside any fear, and forge ahead.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Stephanie. Good information. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our district, too, pulled the campus technology folks because of budget. We do feel it. Now we have to schedule with the one person who hits our and several other schools and make it work. I do agree it is a step backward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think another step back for many districts is that because of the new 4X4 requirements for graduation, many districts no longer require students to have a technology credit. I required my own daughter to take BCIS even though she doesn't need the credit to graduate. Many teachers are hesitant to learn new technology, but I believe it's more than just fear. Some of us are already so overwhelmed with what we are required to do that we feel we have no time to take on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are absolutely right about the fact that the technology support is at a minimum now that the district has taken a step backwards.

    As far as being scared of technology, I think you are doing great. I love your blog. Well done. Lisa T.

    ReplyDelete